Christmas Movies and Cocktails
It’s that time of year where you sit back, tuck in and watch a barrage of your favorite Christmas movies – some more than once per holiday season! Watching Christmas Vacation or Elf has become as much of a holiday tradition as opening presents and decorating the tree. It’s perfect.
And you can’t improve on perfection, right? Well, you can if you add booze. That, my holly jolly friends, is where Big Red Liquors comes in. With our massive selection of beer, wine, liquors and other necessities, as well as our convenient locations around the state, we’re ready to play an important role in your holiday celebrations. We want to make your movie watching experience even better which is why we’ve created some Christmas Movie and Cocktail pairings you never knew you even wanted!
So before you call it a night and hit play on A Christmas Story for the 100th time, make a stop by Big Red Liquors and fill up your sleigh with what you need to adult-up your holiday movie binge.
Elf + Irish Coffee w/Syrup
This really is the world’s best cup of coffee when you add all the sugar to it!
- Pot of very hot coffee
- 1.5 ounce of Irish Whiskey
- 1 tablespoon of brown sugar (can substitute a dash of maple syrup)
- Heavy cream (optional)
- Fill your favorite mug ¾ of the way with coffee.
- Add the whiskey
- Stir in the brown sugar or syrup
- Top with heavy cream by pouring gently over the back of a spoon
- Toss in a candy cane too
Christmas Vacation + Merry Moose Eggnog
Dust off the old moose glasses and fill them with this delightful holiday treat. (recipe via)
- 6 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup bourbon
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- Instructions (12 servings)
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, egg yolks, sugar and salt together and continue whisking while adding the milk.
- Put mixture in a large frying pan and warm over low heat for 30 minutes. Continue whisking during this process and allow the mixture to thicken.
- Remove mixture from heat and strain.
- Place in a large bowl and stir in the nutmeg, vanilla and bourbon.
- Chill in the fridge for five hours.
- Before serving, remove from fridge and whisk in the heavy whipping cream.
- Serve and enjoy while watching family movies in your attic.
A Christmas Story + Chocolate Bourbon Milkshake
It’s not Ovaltine. In fact, it’s much better because it’s got ice cream and bourbon in there! (recipe via)
- 2 oz bourbon
- 2 oz chocolate syrup
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into a pint glass and top with chocolate shavings or pink candies (preferably bunnies if you can find them)
Home Alone + Flaming Dr. Pepper
Don’t burn the house down while making this flammable cocktail, ya filthy animal! (recipe via)
- 3/4 shot amaretto almond liqueur
- 151 proof rum
- 1/2 glass of easy drinking domestic lager
- Fill a shot glass about 3/4 full with amaretto and top it off with a layer of 151 proof rum.
- Put the shot glass in a pint glass and fill the new glass with beer to the level of the shot glass.
- With a long lighter, light the amaretto/151 and let it burn. Blow it out and drink both the beer and the shot immediately.
- Defend your house against intruders.
Remember, Santa isn’t the only “Big Red” that can bring holiday cheer! So saddle up, get mixing and enjoy your favorite Christmas movies with a little bit of extra joy this year.