Whether you’re hosting a White Elephant Gift Party or the big family Christmas get-together, you’ll want to have something hot to drink. And when you add a bit of liquor to the mixture, well then it becomes all the merrier. After all, nothing warms the body and soul like a nice spiked hot cider in a mug. The added bonus of a crock pot-spiked cider recipe is you can set it and forget it! People can serve themselves and so you won’t be running around making drinks for your guests and instead will be enjoying the party.
Oh, and your house will smell incredible as well.
Though rum often associated with spiked cider, don’t miss out on the floral goodness and warmth that comes with a floral gin. That is why our favorite slow cooker recipe calls for the juniper berry spirit to go with cider and spice and everything nice.
Crock Pot Cider Recipe
Ingredients (recipe via)
- 3 quarts natural apple cider
- One two-inch piece of ginger, peeled
- Two three-inch cinnamon sticks
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 teaspoons whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups gin (or bourbon, or vodka, or rum… You get the idea!)
- Pour the apple cider into a slow cooker.
- Tie the ginger, cinnamon sticks, cloves, allspice and black peppercorns into a cheesecloth.
- Add the cheesecloth sachet, brown sugar and orange slices to the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on high for 1 hour then reduce to low and continue cooking for another 4 hours.
- Add your choice of spirits just before serving.
- Serve in handled mugs to keep from burning your hands.
And there you have it, a wonderful, aromatic and cheerful holiday cider to lighten up your day.