Barrell Bourbon Batch 020 was blended from a selection of barrels from Tennessee and Kentucky. We started with 10-year-old barrels with a lush, prominent fruit profile and balanced them with 14-year-old oak-forward barrels resulting in a complex bourbon with an engaging brightness.
• A blend of straight Bourbon Whiskeys
• Distilled and aged in Tennessee and Kentucky
• Selection of 10 to 14-year-old barrels
•Aged in American white oak barrels
• Crafted and bottled in Kentucky
• 106.7 proof cask strength bottling
• Mash bill: corn, rye and malted barley
San Francisco World Spirits Competition - 2020 : DOUBLE GOLD
Whiskies of the World Awards (2019) : GOLD (Bourbon > 6 Years category)
Whisky Advocate rating of 92
Sweet but not excessively oaky, this bourbon opens fruity and softly spiced while a floral side builds over time. Its flavor is focused but complex, with notes of Oolong tea and forest floor leading to a finish of punchy fruits and racy minerality.
• Appearance: Light amber maple syrup with a burnt sienna core.
• Nose: Opens sweetly, showcasing butterscotch, and hazelnut liqueur alongside deeply hued fruity notes of brandy, montmorency cherry, and black currant. With time the nose is lifted by lighter fruits -- pears poached in spiced wine and mirabelle plum; as well as by myriad flowers -- rose, cherry blossom, and hibiscus. Soft, woody spices in the form of star anise, and cedar lend balance while the whole is given depth by a surprising savory side, showcasing pain levain, cultured butter, toasted sesame and enoki mushroom.
• Palate: Delivers much of the sweetness of oak without tasting particularly oaky; opening on honey, nougat, nocino, and salmiak. It seems almost roasted, tasting of espresso and charcoal pencil, before notes of oolong tea and forest floor reveal its depth.
• Finish: Quite intense, with an array of fruits, particularly cranberry and kumquat, enlivened by a mineral signature of salt, graphite, rock pools and mastic. It fades gently on an assortment of spices, aniseed, licorice, cocoa nib, and hyssop.
Tasted with a few drops of spring water:
The nose becomes richer, dense with fennel pollen, violet pastille, whole pineapple and neufchatel. The palate reveals more complexity, concord grape, gooseberry jam, lime zest, and kola nut.